Monday, November 10, 2008

{cake recipe}

I've had some requests for the recipe of the chocolate cake in my previous post. The recipe is from the Southern Living Christmas 2007 book. I'm not sure what the copyright for those recipes are and if I'm allowed to post it, so don't tell where you got it ;)

The cake was actually pretty easy! It uses store-bought items, so don't worry. You won't be covered in flour when you're done! I suck at frosting, so hopefully yours will turn out prettier.

Photobucket

Cheesecake - Stuffed Dark Chocolate Cake

    Ingredients:


  • unsweetened cocoa

  • 1 (18.25-oz.) package devil's food cake mix

  • 1 (3.4-oz.) package chocolate instant pudding mix

  • 3 large eggs

  • 1 1/3 cups milk

  • 1 cup canola oil

  • 1 tbsp. vanilla extract

  • 1 1/2 tsp. chocolate extract (optional - I couldn't find it)

  • 1 tsp. almond extract

  • 3 (1.55-oz.) milk chocolate bars, chopped (I used Hershey's. Found them on the candy stand at checkout)

  • 3 (16-oz.) cans homestyle cream cheese frosting (I wish I would have had one more can)

  • 3 (7.75-oz.) boxes frozen cheesecake bites, coarsely chopped (this was hardest for me to find!)

  • 1 (12-oz.) jar dulce de leche caramel sauce (couldn't find this, so I just used plain caramel)

  • double chocolate rolled wafer cookies, broken in half (I used Pepperidge Farm. Watch out! They're expensive. Perhaps a cheaper garnish next time...)


    Instructions:


  • Grease 2 (9" - but I only had 8", so my cake was taller, but narrower) round cakepans, and dust with cocoa.

  • Beat cake mix and next 7 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer 1 minute; then beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Fold in chopped chocolate bars. Pour batter into prepared pans.

  • Bake at 350 for 32 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool cake in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Wrap and chill cake layers at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours (this step enables you to split cake layers with ease).

  • Using a serrated knife, slice cake layers in half horizontally to make 4 layers. Place 1 layer, cut side up, on a cake plate. Spread with 1/2 cup cream cheese frosting; sprinkle with one-fourth of chopped cheesecake bites. Repeat procedure with remaining 3 layers, frosting, and cheesecake bites, omitting cheesecake bites on top of last layer. Frost sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.

  • Drizzle desired amount of caramel sauce over cake, letting it drip down sides. Chill until ready to serve. Decorate cake with rolled wafer fookies and remaining chopped cheesecake bites. Store in refrigerator.


Enjoy! Cheers!

6 comments:

Jill said...

That looks so yummy!

denali said...

**groan** I think I just gained 3 lbs reading the recipe! *LOL*

YUH-MEE!! Thanks for sharing :)

trinad said...

Thanks sweetie!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was wondering which camera do you use? Because your pictures great!

Amy said...

Shikha, I use a Canon 20D, the predecessor to the 30D. I use a Canon 50mm 1.4 lens for 99% of my photos, and I really attribute my photos to this wonderful lens! I never ever use flash. It's incredible!

Erika said...

Yummy! This looks delish! Thanks for posting the recipe...I'm always looking for great new recipes!